The Hemingray Story
Hemingray was founded in 1848 by two partners, Robert Hemingray & Ralph Gray. Moving their glassworks across the river from Cincinnati in Covington, KY in 1852, the company went through a series of names, ultimately incorporating in 1870 as the Hemingray Glass Co. They were making insulators at least as early as the 1880s. In 1933, Hemingray Glass Co. was sold to the Owens-Illinois Glass Co., and the last Hemingray insulators were produced in 1957.